I love smoked mackerel and this pate is an all time favourite in my house. Perfect as a starter for 4 or a lunch for 2.
Ingredients and approximate cost
- 145g smoked mackerel fillets (£2.50)
- 50g Quark (2op)
- juice of one lemon (15p)
- 1 tsp horseradish sauce (5p)
Total cost £2.90 all ingredients marked * are optional and can be changed according to taste.
Total calories 444 – so depends on how much you eat and if its a starter (111) or lunch (222)
Remove the skin from the mackerel and break into chunks, add the rest of the ingredients and blitz until smooth. Done!
The calories given are based on the weight AFTER the skin is removed when the weight was 145g
- any smoked fish can be used
- Omitting the horseradish if preferred but it does add a nice zing
- use tinned tuna and try wasabi instead of horseradish – it’s nose tinglingly goood
For some reason smoked mackerel has Syns, smoked salmon does not, fresh mackerel does not. I have no idea why this is but you will need to syn it by weight or use smoked salmon. The hot smoked salmon is the best for this 🙂