People have been known to come to blows about what constitutes carbonara. I personally don’t care in the slightest if you want to add cream or not, how many eggs you use, what meat you use, if you add garlic or not etc. As long as it tastes good I’ll eat it. Which is why I am now cooking dieting friendly versions 😉
Ingredients and Approximate cost
- One lean smoked gammon steak 200g or thereabouts (or lean smoked bacon) (approximately £2.50)
- 200g mushrooms (£1)
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped(or to taste) (20p)
- 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks (80p)
- 50g grated peccorino or parmesan (50p)
- 2 tablespoon VLF fromage frais (50p)
- black pepper
- Pasta of your choice
Total cost £5.50 (plus the cost of the pasta) serves 4
Chop the gammon into small pieces and dry fry in a pan (use Frylight if needed) once browned add a little water (couple of table spoons) and add the garlic, make sure that you top up the water so it does not get dry.
Slice the mushrooms and spread on a plate, microwave for a couple of minutes then remove and squeeze all the moisture out with a clean tea towel or kitchen roll. Brown them in a pan with frylight and then add to the gammon and garlic. (I find nuking them first and getting the moisture out really helps as it makes them very tasty and they brown more)
Combine the eggs and egg yolks and add the fromage frais and cheese and lots of black pepper. Add this mixture to the pan with the gammon and mushrooms and remove the pan from the heat, stirring all the time.
Pour the whole lot into a pan of hot cooked pasta, making sure that the pasta is drained but with a little water remaining. Stir until thickened and serve immediately.
If wanted a bit of the cheese can be reserved for sprinkling.
- smoked turkey rashers would work but need a lot less cooking
- smoked salmon or trout could also be used cut into slivers and added at the end
- add more mushrooms and some asparagus for a vegetarian option (do check the cheese though most Italian hard cheeses are made with animal rennet
- leave out the mushrooms entirely if you want, but a meal without some sort of vegetable in it makes me twitch a bit. I blame my mother 😉
This is free on EE if you keep half an HEa for the cheese (I didn’t use a full 2 HE’s worth of it in the whole thing as 50g of peccorino/parmesan is LOADS if you consider you usually buy it in 200g blocks it’s a 1/4 of one of those…)
It would be free on original if you used the cheese as 1/2 HE a and had wholemeal pasta as HEb
It would be free on green if you used the cheese as 1/2 HE a and had gammon as HEb
If you did want to Syn the cheese then it would be 1.5 Syns per potion 🙂